Division of Prevention
Sarah Abe, Shiori Tanaka
Ayami Ono, Islam Md Rashedul, Tetsuji Minami
Yasuko Iba, Michiko Okajima, Yoko Hirose, Ayako Toyama
The Division of Prevention focuses on prevention research to investigate and develop prevention methods (lifestyle, chemoprevention, molecular marker, etc.), risk prediction, risk stratification models, and evidence-based cancer prevention guidelines.
Evaluation of cancer prevention strategies inJapan and cancer prevention guidelines
To develop an evidence-based cancer prevention strategy in Japan, a systematic review of epidemiological research was conducted. The strength of evidence was evaluated in a manner similar to that used in the WHO/FAO Expert Consultation Report, in which evidence was classified as 'convincing', 'probable', 'possible' and 'insufficient'. Through this method, cigarette smoking was evaluated to have a 'convincing' effect on increasing the risk of head and neck cancer and bladder cancer. A web-based tool to predict the 10-year risk of developing cancer based on adhesion to 5 healthy lifestyle factors was constructed and released to the press to be more widely used. A pooled analysis of Japanese cohort studies was conducted and we found that a moderate intake of fruit decreases the risk of lung cancer in men. The Asia Cohort Consortium (ACC)is a collaborative effort seeking to understand the relationship between genetics, environmental exposure, and the etiology of disease through the establishment of a cohort of at least one million healthy people throughout Asian countries. The ACC Coordinating Center was established at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and moved to the Prevention Division in 2014. The data analysis system on-site and via remote access is now established and several projects are ongoing.
Development of prevention measures based oninterventional research
We started a double-blind, randomized clinical trial of aspirin and mesalazine to see if these drugs suppress the occurrence of new adenomasin patients with a history of multiple colorectaladenomas. Another clinical research project aiming to develop colorectal cancer chemopreventive drugs is in progress.
Population-based Prospective Study (the JPHCstudy and the JPHC-NEXT Study) (primarilythe development of preventive measures such asrisk prediction; searching for chemopreventioncandidates)
Based on a nested case-control study of the Japan Public Health Center-based prospective(JPHC) Study, the interaction of ADH1C, ALDH2and alcohol consumption on the development of gastric cancer was shown. We also developed a risk prediction model for gastric cancer based on clinical and lifestyle-related characteristics in combination with biological variables (ABC method) that allows the estimation of the 10-year probability of gastric cancer occurrence. These results suggest the importance of risk stratification as a tool of gastric cancer prevention. In addition, we started research on collecting stomach cancer tissue in order to consider subtypes of tumors by molecularbiomarkers.
Supervised the research of one research resident fellowship and one senior resident in a hospital.
We focus on research for the development of effective cancer prevention strategies. In addition to current established evidence, new perspectives such as biomarkers from blood and tumor tissues will be incorporated. This approach may lead to more accurate cancer prevention strategies by riskstratification.
Figure 1. Web-based tool 'Five healthy lifestyle factors and cancer risk'.
List of papers published in 2015
- Asada K, Nakajima T, Shimazu T, Yamamichi N, Maekita T, YokoiC, Oda I, Ando T, Yoshida T, Nanjo S, Fujishiro M, GotodaT, Ichinose M, Ushijima T. Demonstration of the usefulness ofepigenetic cancer risk prediction by a multicentre prospectivecohort study. Gut, 64:388-396, 2015 [PubMed]
- Yoneoka D, Henmi M, Sawada N, Inoue M. Synthesis of clinicalprediction models under different sets of covariates withone individual patient data. BMC Med Res Methodol, 15:101,2015 [PubMed]
- Kikuchi H, Inoue S, Odagiri Y, Inoue M, Sawada N, Tsugane S,Japan Public Health Centre (JPHC) study group. Occupationalsitting time and risk of all-cause mortality among Japaneseworkers. Scand J Work Environ Health, 41:519-528, 2015 [PubMed]
- Hidaka A, Shimazu T, Sawada N, Yamaji T, Iwasaki M, SasazukiS, Inoue M, Tsugane S, Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study Group. Fish, n-3 PUFA consumption, andpancreatic cancer risk in Japanese: a large, population-based,prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr, 102:1490-1497, 2015 [PubMed]
- Kashino I, Mizoue T, Tanaka K, Tsuji I, Tamakoshi A, MatsuoK, Wakai K, Nagata C, Inoue M, Tsugane S, Sasazuki S,Research Group for Development and Evaluation of CancerPrevention Strategies in Japan. Vegetable consumption andcolorectal cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic reviewand meta-analysis among the Japanese population. Jpn JClin Oncol, 45:973-979, 2015 [PubMed]
- Charvat H, Goto A, Goto M, Inoue M, Heianza Y, Arase Y,Sone H, Nakagami T, Song X, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J, TsuganeS, Noda M, Inoue M. Impact of population aging on trends indiabetes prevalence: A meta-regression analysis of 160,000Japanese adults. J Diabetes Investig, 6:533-542, 2015 [PubMed]
- Micha R, Khatibzadeh S, Shi P, Andrews KG, Engell RE, MozaffarianD, Global Burden of Diseases Nutrition and ChronicDiseases Expert Group (NutriCoDE). Global, regional andnational consumption of major food groups in 1990 and 2010:a systematic analysis including 266 country-specific nutritionsurveys worldwide. BMJ Open, 5:e008705, 2015 [PubMed]
- Kawabata-Shoda E, Charvat H, Ikeda A, Inoue M, SawadaN, Iwasaki M, Sasazuki S, Shimazu T, Yamaji T, Kimura H,Masuda S, Tsugane S. Trends in cancer prognosis in a population-based cohort survey: can recent advances in cancer therapyaffect the prognosis? Cancer Epidemiol, 39:97-103, 2015 [PubMed]
- Fowke JH, McLerran DF, Gupta PC, He J, Shu XO, RamadasK, Tsugane S, Inoue M, Tamakoshi A, Koh WP, Nishino Y, TsujiI, Ozasa K, Yuan JM, Tanaka H, Ahn YO, Chen CJ, SugawaraY, Yoo KY, Ahsan H, Pan WH, Pednekar M, Gu D, Xiang YB,Sauvaget C, Sawada N, Wang R, Kakizaki M, Tomata Y, OhishiW, Butler LM, Oze I, Kim DH, You SL, Park SK, Parvez F,Chuang SY, Chen Y, Lee JE, Grant E, Rolland B, ThornquistM, Feng Z, Zheng W, Boffetta P, Sinha R, Kang D, PotterJD. Associations of body mass index, smoking, and alcoholconsumption with prostate cancer mortality in the Asia CohortConsortium. Am J Epidemiol, 182:381-389, 2015 [PubMed]
- Ueno M, Ohara S, Sawada N, Inoue M, Tsugane S, KawaguchiY. The association of active and secondhand smoking with oralhealth in adults: Japan public health center-based study. TobInduc Dis, 13:19, 2015 [PubMed]
- Abe SK, Inoue M, Sawada N, Iwasaki M, Shimazu T, Yamaji T,Sasazuki S, Tanaka Y, Mizokami M, Tsugane S, JPHC StudyGroup. Hepatitis B and C virus infection and risk of lymphoidmalignancies: A population-based cohort study (JPHC Study).Cancer Epidemiol, 39:562-566, 2015 [PubMed]
- Kiyabu GY, Inoue M, Saito E, Abe SK, Sawada N, IshiharaJ, Iwasaki M, Yamaji T, Shimazu T, Sasazuki S, Shibuya K,Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group. Fish, n - 3 polyunsaturated fattyacids and n - 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids intake and breastcancer risk: The Japan Public Health Center-based prospectivestudy. Int J Cancer, 137:2915-2926, 2015 [PubMed]
- Singh GM, Micha R, Khatibzadeh S, Lim S, Ezzati M, MozaffarianD, Global Burden of Diseases Nutrition and Chronic DiseasesExpert Group (NutriCoDE). Estimated Global, Regional,and National Disease Burdens Related to Sugar-SweetenedBeverage Consumption in 2010. Circulation, 132:639-666,2015 [PubMed]
- Wakai K, Sugawara Y, Tsuji I, Tamakoshi A, Shimazu T, MatsuoK, Nagata C, Mizoue T, Tanaka K, Inoue M, Tsugane S, SasazukiS, Research Group for the Development and Evaluationof Cancer Prevention Strategies in Japan. Risk of lung cancerand consumption of vegetables and fruit in Japanese: A pooledanalysis of cohort studies in Japan. Cancer Sci, 106:1057-1065, 2015 [PubMed]
- Kato M, Noda M, Mizoue T, Goto A, Takahashi Y, Matsushita Y,Nanri A, Iso H, Inoue M, Sawada N, Tsugane S, JPHC StudyGroup. Diagnosed diabetes and premature death amongmiddle-aged Japanese: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan (JPHC study). BMJ Open,5:e007736, 2015 [PubMed]
- Goto A, Noda M, Matsushita Y, Goto M, Kato M, Isogawa A,Takahashi Y, Kurotani K, Oba S, Nanri A, Mizoue T, YamagishiK, Yatsuya H, Saito I, Kokubo Y, Sawada N, Inoue M, Iso H,Kadowaki T, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group. Hemoglobin a1clevels and the risk of cardiovascular disease in people withoutknown diabetes: a population-based cohort study in Japan.Medicine (Baltimore), 94:e785, 2015 [PubMed]
- Saito E, Inoue M, Sawada N, Shimazu T, Yamaji T, Iwasaki M,Sasazuki S, Noda M, Iso H, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group.Association of green tea consumption with mortality due to allcauses and major causes of death in a Japanese population:the Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study(JPHC Study). Ann Epidemiol, 25:512-518.e3, 2015 [PubMed]
- Ma E, Sasazuki S, Shimazu T, Sawada N, Yamaji T, IwasakiM, Inoue M, Tsugane S. Reactive oxygen species and gastriccancer risk: a large nested case-control study in Japan. Eur JEpidemiol, 30:589-594, 2015 [PubMed]
- Saito E, Inoue M, Sawada N, Shimazu T, Yamaji T, Iwasaki M,Sasazuki S, Noda M, Iso H, Tsugane S. Association of coffeeintake with total and cause-specific mortality in a Japanesepopulation: the Japan Public Health Center-based ProspectiveStudy. Am J Clin Nutr, 101:1029-1037, 2015 [PubMed]
- Honjo K, Iso H, Nakaya T, Hanibuchi T, Ikeda A, Inoue M,Sawada N, Tsugane S, Japan Public Health Center-based ProspectiveStudy Group. Impact of neighborhood socioeconomicconditions on the risk of stroke in Japan. J Epidemiol, 25:254-260, 2015 [PubMed]
- Fujimoto K, Fujii G, Taguchi K, Yasuda K, Matsuo Y, HashiyamaA, Mutoh M, Tanaka H, Wada M. Involvement of trefoil factorfamily 2 in the enlargement of intestinal tumors in ApcMin/+mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 463:859-863, 2015 [PubMed]
- Iwasaki M, Franke AA, Hamada GS, Miyajima NT, Sharma S,Ishihara J, Takachi R, Tsugane S, Le Marchand L. Comparisonof plasma levels of nutrient-related biomarkers amongJapanese populations in Tokyo, Japan, Sテ」o Paulo, Brazil, andHawaii, USA. Eur J Cancer Prev, 24:155-161, 2015 [PubMed]
- Fujimoto K, Fujii G, Sakurai H, Yoshitome H, Mutoh M, WadaM. Intestinal Peyer's patches prevent tumorigenesis in ApcMin/+mice. J Clin Biochem Nutr, 56:43-48, 2015 [PubMed]
- Budhathoki S, Iwasaki M, Yamaji T, Sasazuki S, Takachi R,Sakamoto H, Yoshida T, Tsugane S. Dietary heterocyclic amineintake, NAT2 genetic polymorphism, and colorectal adenomarisk: the colorectal adenoma study in Tokyo. Cancer EpidemiolBiomarkers Prev, 24:613-620, 2015 [PubMed]
- Nakamura K, Kitamura K, Takachi R, Saito T, Kobayashi R,Oshiki R, Watanabe Y, Tsugane S, Sasaki A, Yamazaki O.Impact of demographic, environmental, and lifestyle factors onvitamin D sufficiency in 9084 Japanese adults. Bone, 74:10-17, 2015 [PubMed]
- Michikawa T, Inoue M, Sawada N, Tanaka Y, Yamaji T, IwasakiM, Shimazu T, Sasazuki S, Mizokami M, Tsugane S, ,for the Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective StudyGroup. Plasma isoflavones and risk of primary liver cancerin Japanese women and men with hepatitis virus infection: anested case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev,24:532-537, 2015 [PubMed]
- Sawada N, Iwasaki M, Yamaji T, Shimazu T, Sasazuki S, InoueM, Tsugane S, Japan Public Health Center-based ProspectiveStudy Group. Fiber intake and risk of subsequent prostate cancerin Japanese men. Am J Clin Nutr, 101:118-125, 2015 [PubMed]
- Hidaka A, Sasazuki S, Matsuo K, Ito H, Sawada N, Shimazu T,Yamaji T, Iwasaki M, Inoue M, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group.Genetic polymorphisms of ADH1B, ADH1C and ALDH2, alcoholconsumption, and the risk of gastric cancer: the JapanPublic Health Center-based prospective study. Carcinogenesis,36:223-231, 2015 [PubMed]
- Svensson T, Inoue M, Sawada N, Iwasaki M, Sasazuki S, ShimazuT, Yamaji T, Ikeda A, Kawamura N, Mimura M, Tsugane S,Japan Public Health Centre-based prospective Study Group.The association between complete and partial non-responseto psychosocial questions and suicide: the JPHC Study. Eur JPublic Health, 25:424-430, 2015 [PubMed]
- Budhathoki S, Iwasaki M, Yamaji T, Sasazuki S, Tsugane S.Coffee intake and the risk of colorectal adenoma: The colorectaladenoma study in Tokyo. Int J Cancer, 137:463-470, 2015 [PubMed]
- Hanibuchi T, Nakaya T, Honjo K, Ikeda A, Iso H, Inoue M,Sawada N, Tsugane S, Japan Public Health Center-basedProspective Study Group. Neighborhood contextual factors forsmoking among middle-aged Japanese: a multilevel analysis.Health Place, 31:17-23, 2015 [PubMed]
- Budhathoki S, Iwasaki M, Sawada N, Yamaji T, Shimazu T,Sasazuki S, Inoue M, Tsugane S, JPHC Study Group. Soyfood and isoflavone intake and endometrial cancer risk: theJapan Public Health Center-based prospective study. BJOG,122:304-311, 2015 [PubMed]
- Mutoh M, Ishikawa H. Metformin Use and Lung Cancer Risk-Letter. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 8:760, 2015 [PubMed]
- 34. Shiotani A, Ishikawa H, Mutoh M, Takeshita T, Nakamura T,Morimoto K, Sakai T, Wakabayashi K, Sakai T, Matuura N.Genetic polymorphisms in ADH1B and ALDH2 are associatedwith colorectal tumors in Japan: a case-control study. J CancerTher, 6:1054-1062, 2015
- Hidaka A, Sasazuki S, Goto A, Sawada N, Shimazu T, Yamaji T,Iwasaki M, Inoue M, Noda M, Tajiri H, Tsugane S, JPHC StudyGroup. Plasma insulin, C-peptide and blood glucose and therisk of gastric cancer: the Japan Public Health Center-basedprospective study. Int J Cancer, 136:1402-1410, 2015 [PubMed]
- Shimazu T, Asada K, Charvat H, Kusano C, Otake Y, KakugawaY, Watanabe H, Gotoda T, Ushijima T, Tsugane S. Associationof gastric cancer risk factors with DNA methylation levelsin gastric mucosa of healthy Japanese: a cross-sectional study.Carcinogenesis, 36:1291-1298, 2015 [PubMed]
- Miyamoto S, Fujii G, Komiya M, Terasaki M, Mutoh M. Potentialfor sesame seed-derived factors to prevent colorectalcancer. In: Ullah MF, Ahmad A (eds), Critical Dietary Factors inCancer Chemoprevention, Switzerland, Springer InternationalPublishing, pp 183-197, 2015