Department of Pathology and Clinical Laboratories
Atsushi Ochiai, Nobuyoshi Hiraoka, Koji Tsuta, Shigeki Sekine, Koh Furuta, Noriko Motoi, Akiko Maeshima, Taisuke Mori, Hirokazu Taniguchi, Reiko Watanabe, Masayuki Yoshida, Akihiko Yoshida, Hiroshi Yoshida, Aoi Sukeda, Kuniko Sunami, Yae Kanai, Eri Arai, Shintaro Fukushima, Yuko Sasajima, Junko Itoh, Taiki Hashimoto, Koko Mitsuma, Michiko Sugiyama
In the Pathology Division, the practice, education and research of diagnostic and anatomic pathology are carried out. Diagnostic pathology practice comprises all issues on the processing of cell and tissue specimens obtained from patients, preparation of tissue blocks and pathology slides, and histological and cytopathological diagnoses of diseases. The practice of anatomic pathology consists of the autopsy, post-mortem systemic gross and microscopic examination of patients. Case conferences with each clinical division are held periodically. Residents and trainees are accepted for training of diagnostic pathology on a rotating basis. To provide more accurate and informative diagnosis in future, the staff members conduct basic, clinical, or translational research by themselves or in collaboration with other divisions or institutions.
The Clinical Laboratories Division provides an important service as an in-hospital diagnostic unit by examining laboratory specimens and screening for disorders. All laboratory data are provided for clinicians under strict internal and external quality control. The laboratories in this Division have acquired the accreditation of ISO 15189, which certifies the quality and competence of a medical laboratory with regard to quality management and techniques, developed by the International Organization for Standardization's Technical Committee 212 (ISO/TC 212). In order to start a genome medicine where gene mutation profiles occurring in cancer tissues can contribute to select treatment options, a new genetic analyzing laboratory was established for performing comprehensive gene mutation analysis to clinical cancer samples using new-generation-sequencers under accreditation of semi- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). The staff of the Clinical Laboratories Division will continuously work to improve the quality and quantity of laboratory services.
Pathology Division: In 2015, a total of 17 board-certified pathologists, four residents and 13 medical technologists, including nine cytotechnologists, cooperatively performed routine histological and cytopathological diagnosis of specimens obtained from patients at the National Cancer Center Hospital (NCCH) and the Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening (RCCPS), and education of the residents. 16 pathologists working exclusively in the NCCH also shared management of the division. We provided a total of 23,720 histological diagnoses consisting of 23,720 biopsy specimens, including 2,102 intraoperative frozen sections, and 4,060 surgically resected specimens, a total of cytopathological diagnoses of 12,026 patients, including 446 for intraoperative diagnosis, and a total of 31 autopsies. We also provided a total of 222 pathological diagnoses for an outpatient clinic for pathology consultation (second opinion).
Clinical Laboratories Division: 52 full-time and nine part-time medical technologists, two photographers and five assistants provide services. These staff work in the sections of 1) general laboratory medicine and hematology, 2) biochemistry, 3) endocrinology, immunology, and tumor markers, 4) bacteriology, 5) genetic diagnostics, 6) transfusion, 7) phlebotomy, 8) physiological examination, and 9) pathology in the NCCH, and in the sections of phlebotomy and physiological examination in the RCCPS. The sections of 1) to 5) are to be supervised by Drs. Koh Furuta and Kuniko Sunami, 6) and 7) by Dr. Ryuji Tanozaki (Transfusion Therapy), 8) by Dr. Yasunori Mizuguchi (Diagnostic Radiology), Drs. Masaaki Shoji and Takeshi Iwasa (General Internal Medicine), and Dr. Eriko Iwamoto (Breast Surgery), and 9) by doctors in the Pathology Division. The bacteriology staff are members of the Infection Control Team and participate in infection management activities. The actual number of laboratory tests performed in this division in 2015 is shown in Table 2.
Hepato-biliary pancreatic pathology
Tumor-infiltrating CD8+ T cells, lower ratios of BTLA/CD8 and Cbl-b/CD8 were unfavorable prognosticators in gallbladder cancer patients. It was suggested that upregulation of BTLA in cancer tissues is involved in inhibition of antitumor immunity. We identified a significant subgroup of HER2-positive gallbladder cancer cases (16.6 %), for whom a clinical trial with anti-HER2 therapy might be considered.
We demonstrated the frequent presence of activating GNAS and KRAS mutations in heterotopic gastric-type mucosa in the duodenum, suggesting that these lesions are precursors to adenocarcinomas with a gastric epithelial phenotype. The common presence of APC mutations in pyloric gland adenomas was revealed by a genetic analysis of familial adenomatous polyposis-associated cases. A detailed histological analysis revealed highly prevalent lymphovascular invasion even in minute rectal carcinoids; this observation raises a question regarding its significance as a risk factor for metastasis.
We reported clinicopathological characteristics of follicular lymphoma with peripheral blood involvement, lymphomas in the upper aerodigestive tract, and classical Hodgkin lymphoma of the elderly. We also reported pitfalls of flow cytometry for B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas.
Clinicopathological analysis was made on HER2-mutated non-small cell carcinomas. Adenocarcinomas with cavitary changes were characterized. Ciliated muconodular papillary tumors were studied in a series of 10 cases. Myocardial sleeve tissues incidentally identified in lung resection specimens were analyzed. The utility of AR and GATA3 immunostaining in diagnostic settings was validated. A case of concurrent thymoma, thymic carcinoma, and lymphoblastic lymphoma was reported.
Bone and soft tissue pathology
Unusual superficial SMARCB1-deficient ER-positive tumors were characterized in a series of nine cases and they were proposed to constitute a potentially new nosologic entity “myoepithelioma-like tumors of the vulvar region” (MELTVR). Spindle cell/sclerosing rhabdomyosarcomas were clinicopathologically analyzed in 16 cases. Prognostic factors of epithelioid sarcomas were identified in a multi-institutional series of 44 cases.
The frequent presence of MED12 mutations among the phyllodes tumors of the breast was found regardless of the tumor grade. We found also that TERT promoter mutations were frequent in phyllodes tumors but rare in fibroadenomas. We proposed that intraductal papillomas on core biopsy could be upgraded to carcinomas on subsequent excisional biopsy regardless of the presence of atypical features
Immune contexture and PD-L1 expression status of uterine cervical adenocarcinoma have been reported. We have made case reports of an unusual recurrence pattern of uterine carcinosarcoma and uterine metastasis from duodenal adenocarcinoma.
Head and Neck/Ophthalmic pathology
We reported that in persistent severe chronic graft versus host disease (cGvHD) that underwent bone marrow transplantation there was the risk of oral squamous cell carcinoma development in long-term follow-up cases. We published the first case on primary intraocular synovial sarcoma.
An in-hospital bio-bank has been maintained for use by various researchers, and more than 650,000 post-clinical-test blood samples have been stored at -20 °C as of the end of 2015. Three sections of hematology, biochemistry and endocrinology, immunology and tumor markers, participated in the external quality control program endorsed by the Japanese Society of Laboratory Medicine. Some medical technologists made interesting findings in their routine practice and made presentations at several domestic medical assemblies. In the molecular diagnostic section, mutation analyses of EGFR, KRAS, NRAS, and BRAF were provided as routine tests. At the cytogenetics section, using the Metafer system (an automated image analysisassisted fluorescence in situ hybridization [FISH] system), the technique to evaluate the FISH imaging of HER2 gene amplification was established and maintained. These two sections provided data not only for clinical practices but also for research activities of doctors in the NCCH and/or the NCCRI.
List of papers published in 2015
- Abe S, Oda I, Suzuki H, Nonaka S, Yoshinaga S, Nakajima T, Sekiguchi M, Mori G, Taniguchi H, Sekine S, Katai H, Saito Y. Long-term surveillance and treatment outcomes of metachronous gastric cancer occurring after curative endoscopic submucosal dissection. Endoscopy, 47:1113-1118, 2015
- Arita H, Narita Y, Matsushita Y, Fukushima S, Yoshida A, Takami H, Miyakita Y, Ohno M, Shibui S, Ichimura K. Development of a robust and sensitive pyrosequencing assay for the detection of IDH1/2 mutations in gliomas. Brain Tumor Pathol, 32:22-30, 2015
- Arita H, Narita Y, Yoshida A, Hashimoto N, Yoshimine T, Ichimura K. IDH1/2 mutation detection in gliomas. Brain Tumor Pathol, 32:79-89, 2015
- Asaga S, Kinoshita T, Hojo T, Jimbo K, Yoshida M. Predictive Factors for Non-Sentinel Lymph Node Metastasis in Patients With Clinically Node-Negative Ipsilateral Multiple Breast Cancer Treated With Total Mastectomy. Clin Breast Cancer, 15:362-369, 2015
- Asano N, Yoshida A, Ogura K, Kobayashi E, Susa M, Morioka H, Iwata S, Ishii T, Hiruma T, Chuman H, Kawai A. Prognostic Value of Relevant Clinicopathologic Variables in Epithelioid Sarcoma: A Multi-Institutional Retrospective Study of 44 Patients. Ann Surg Oncol, 22:2624-2632, 2015
- Fujita H, Yoshida A, Taniguchi H, Katai H, Sekine S. Adult-on-set inflammatory myofibroblastic tumour of the stomach with a TFG-ROS1 fusion. Histopathology, 66:610-612, 2015
- Fujiwara T, Fujiwara M, Numoto K, Ogura K, Yoshida A, Yonemoto T, Suzuki S, Kawai A. Second primary osteosarcomas in patients with retinoblastoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 45:1139-1145, 2015
- Fujiwara Y, Nokihara H, Yamada Y, Yamamoto N, Sunami K, Utsumi H, Asou H, TakahashI O, Ogasawara K, Gueorguieva I, Tamura T. Phase 1 study of galunisertib, a TGF-beta receptor I kinase inhibitor, in Japanese patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 76:1143-1152, 2015
- Fukushima S, Yoshida A, Narita Y, Arita H, Ohno M, Miyakita Y, Ichimura K, Shibui S. Multinodular and vacuolating neuronal tumor of the cerebrum. Brain Tumor Pathol, 32:131-136, 2015
- Fukutake N, Ueno M, Hiraoka N, Shimada K, Shiraishi K, Saruki N, Ito T, Yamakado M, Ono N, Imaizumi A, Kikuchi S, Yamamoto H, Katayama K. A Novel Multivariate Index for Pancreatic Cancer Detection Based On the Plasma Free Amino Acid Profile. PLoS One, 10:e0132223, 2015
- Hashimoto T, Ogawa R, Matsubara A, Taniguchi H, Sugano K, Ushiama M, Yoshida T, Kanai Y, Sekine S. Familial adenomatous polyposis-associated and sporadic pyloric gland adenomas of the upper gastrointestinal tract share common genetic features. Histopathology, 67:689-698, 2015
- Hattori Y, Yoshida A, Sasaki N, Shibuki Y, Tamura K, Tsuta K. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor with sphere-like clusters mimicking adenocarcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol, 43:214-217, 2015
- Hattori Y, Yoshida A, Yoshida M, Takahashi M, Tsuta K. Evaluation of androgen receptor and GATA binding protein 3 as immunohistochemical markers in the diagnosis of metastatic breast carcinoma to the lung. Pathol Int, 65:286-292, 2015
- Hiraoka N, Ino Y, Yamazaki-Itoh R, Kanai Y, Kosuge T, Shimada K. Intratumoral tertiary lymphoid organ is a favourable prognosticator in patients with pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer, 112:1782-1790, 2015
- Ichikawa H, Yoshida A, Kanda T, Kosugi S, Ishikawa T, Hanyu T, Taguchi T, Sakumoto M, Katai H, Kawai A, Wakai T, Kondo T. Prognostic significance of promyelocytic leukemia expression in gastrointestinal stromal tumor; integrated proteomic and transcriptomic analysis. Cancer Sci, 106:115-124, 2015
- Ito J, Yoshida A, Maeshima AM, Nakagawa K, Watanabe S, Kobayashi Y, Fukuhara S, Tsuta K. Concurrent thymoma, thymic carcinoma, and T lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma in an anterior mediastinal mass. Pathol Res Pract, 211:693-696, 2015
- Kakinuma R, Muramatsu Y, Kusumoto M, Tsuchida T, Tsuta K, Maeshima AM, Asamura H, Moriyama N. Solitary pure ground-glass nodules 5 mm or smaller: frequency of growth. Radiology, 276:873-882, 2015
- Kamata T, Yoshida A, Kosuge T, Watanabe S, Asamura H, Tsuta K. Ciliated muconodular papillary tumors of the lung: a clinicopathologic analysis of 10 cases. Am J Surg Pathol, 39:753-760, 2015
- Kamiyama Y, Kobayashi Y, Fukuhara S, Morikawa N, Munakata W, Miyagi Maeshima A, Maruyama D, Kim SW, Watanabe T, Terauchi T, Muramatsu Y, Tobinai K. Incidental detection of malignant lymphoma in subjects in a cancer surveillance programme. Br J Haematol, 169:138-142, 2015
- Kato M, Uraoka T, Isobe Y, Abe K, Hirata T, Takada Y, Wada M, Takatori Y, Takabayashi K, Fujiyama Y, Sekiya K, Kawaguchi Y, Sukeda A, Shiraishi J. A case of gastric adenocarcinoma of fundic gland type resected by combination of laparoscopic and endoscopic approaches to neoplasia with non-exposure technique (CLEAN-NET). Clin J Gastroenterol, 8:393-399, 2015
- Katsuya Y, Fujiwara Y, Sunami K, Utsumi H, Goto Y, Kanda S, Horinouchi H, Nokihara H, Yamamoto N, Takashima Y, Osawa S, Ohe Y, Tamura T, Hamada A. Comparison of the pharmacokinetics of erlotinib administered in complete fasting and 2h after a meal in patients with lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 76:125-132, 2015
- Katsuya Y, Yoshida A, Watanabe S, Tsuta K. Tumour-to-tumour metastasis from papillary thyroid carcinoma with BRAF mutation to lung adenocarcinoma with EGFR mutation: the utility of mutation-specific antibodies. Histopathology, 67:262-266, 2015
- Kihara K, Fujita S, Ohshiro T, Yamamoto S, Sekine S. Spontaneous regression of colon cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 45:111-114, 2015
- Kikuta K, Kubota D, Yoshida A, Morioka H, Toyama Y, Chuuman H, Kawai A. An analysis of factors related to the tail-like pattern of myxofibrosarcoma seen on MRI. Skeletal Radiol, 44:55-62, 2015
- Kitazono S, Fujiwara Y, Tsuta K, Utsumi H, Kanda S, Horinouchi H, Nokihara H, Yamamoto N, Sasada S, Watanabe S, Asamura H, Tamura T, Ohe Y. Reliability of Small Biopsy Samples Compared With Resected Specimens for the Determination of Programmed Death-Ligand 1 Expression in Non--Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Lung Cancer, 16:385-390, 2015
- Kohno T, Nakaoku T, Tsuta K, Tsuchihara K, Matsumoto S, Yoh K, Goto K. Beyond ALK-RET, ROS1 and other oncogene fusions in lung cancer. Transl Lung Cancer Res, 4:156-164, 2015
- Kojima H, Watanabe R, Isaka M, Shimizu R, Kayata H, Miyata N, Maniwa T, Takahashi S, Ito I, Kameya T, Funai K, Ohde Y, Nakajima T. High-Grade Neuroendocrine Carcinoma with Bronchial Intraepithelial Tumor Spread: Possibly a New Histologic Feature of Large-Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma. J Thorac Oncol, 10:1337-1340, 2015
- Kurihara H, Hamada A, Yoshida M, Shimma S, Hashimoto J, Yonemori K, Tani H, Miyakita Y, Kanayama Y, Wada Y, Kodaira M, Yunokawa M, Yamamoto H, Shimizu C, Takahashi K, Watanabe Y, Fujiwara Y, Tamura K. 64Cu-DOTA-trastuzumab PET imaging and HER2 specificity of brain metastases in HER2-positive breast cancer patients. EJNMMI Res, 5:8, 2015
- Maeshima AM, Taniguchi H, Makita S, Kitahara H, Miyamoto K, Fukuhara S, Munakata W, Suzuki T, Maruyama D, Kobayashi Y, Tobinai K. Histopathological Characteristics of Lymphomas in the Upper Aerodigestive Tract. A Single-Institute Study in Japan. J Clin Exp Hematop, 55:7-11, 2015
- Maeshima AM, Taniguchi H, Nomoto J, Makita S, Kitahara H, Fukuhara S, Munakata W, Suzuki T, Maruyama D, Kobayashi Y, Tobinai K. Clinicopathological features of classical Hodgkin lymphoma in patients ≥ 40 years old, with special reference to composite cases. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 45:921-928, 2015
- Maeshima AM, Taniguchi H, Tanioka K, Kitahara H, Miyamoto K, Fukuhara S, Munakata W, Suzuki T, Maruyama D, Kobayashi Y, Tobinai K, Kushima R. Clinicopathological characteristics of follicular lymphoma with peripheral blood involvement. Leuk Lymphoma, 56:2000-2004, 2015
- Matsubara A, Ogawa R, Suzuki H, Oda I, Taniguchi H, Kanai Y, Kushima R, Sekine S. Activating GNAS and KRAS mutations in gastric foveolar metaplasia, gastric heterotopia, and adenocarcinoma of the duodenum. Br J Cancer, 112:1398-1404, 2015
- Mimori T, Kobayashi S, Tanaka A, Sasada S, Yoshida A, Izumo T, Sasaki N, Tsuchida T, Tsuta K. Novel use for an EGFR mutation-specific antibody in discriminating lung adenocarcinoma from reactive pneumocyte hyperplasia. Histopathology, 66:816-823, 2015
- Morita S, Onaya H, Kishi Y, Hiraoka N, Arai Y. Multiple Intraglandular Metastases in a Patient with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the Pancreas. Intern Med, 54:1753-1756, 2015
- Nakamura H, Arai Y, Totoki Y, Shirota T, Elzawahry A, Kato M, Hama N, Hosoda F, Urushidate T, Ohashi S, Hiraoka N, Ojima H, Shimada K, Okusaka T, Kosuge T, Miyagawa S, Shibata T. Genomic spectra of biliary tract cancer. Nat Genet, 47:1003-1010, 2015
- Nakamura H, Tsuta K, Tsuda H, Katsuya Y, Naka G, Iizuka T, Igari T. NUT midline carcinoma of the mediastinum showing two types of poorly differentiated tumor cells: a case report and a literature review. Pathol Res Pract, 211:92-98, 2015
- Oguro S, Ino Y, Shimada K, Hatanaka Y, Matsuno Y, Esaki M, Nara S, Kishi Y, Kosuge T, Hiraoka N. Clinical significance of tumor-infiltrating immune cells focusing on BTLA and Cbl-b in patients with gallbladder cancer. Cancer Sci, 106:1750-1760, 2015
- Ohmoto A, Maeshima AM, Taniguchi H, Tanioka K, Makita S, Kitahara H, Fukuhara S, Munakata W, Suzuki T, Maruyama D, Kobayashi Y, Tobinai K. Histopathological analysis of B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas without light chain restriction by using flow cytometry. Leuk Lymphoma, 56:3301-3305, 2015
- Saito M, Shimada Y, Shiraishi K, Sakamoto H, Tsuta K, Totsuka H, Chiku S, Ichikawa H, Kato M, Watanabe S, Yoshida T, Yokota J, Kohno T. Development of lung adenocarcinomas with exclusive dependence on oncogene fusions. Cancer Res, 75:2264-2271, 2015
- Sekiguchi M, Kushima R, Oda I, Suzuki H, Taniguchi H, Sekine S, Fukagawa T, Katai H. Clinical significance of a papillary adenocarcinoma component in early gastric cancer: a single-center retrospective analysis of 628 surgically resected early gastric cancers. J Gastroenterol, 50:424-434, 2015
- Sekiguchi M, Sekine S, Sakamoto T, Otake Y, Nakajima T, Matsuda T, Taniguchi H, Kushima R, Ohe Y, Saito Y. Excellent prognosis following endoscopic resection of patients with rectal neuroendocrine tumors despite the frequent presence of lymphovascular invasion. J Gastroenterol, 50:1184-1189, 2015
- Shiino S, Tsuda H, Yoshida M, Jimbo K, Asaga S, Hojo T, Kinoshita T. Intraductal papillomas on core biopsy can be upgraded to malignancy on subsequent excisional biopsy regardless of the presence of atypical features. Pathol Int, 65:293-300, 2015
- Shirahige A, Suzuki H, Oda I, Sekiguchi M, Mori G, Abe S, Nonaka S, Yoshinaga S, Sekine S, Kushima R, Saito Y, Fukagawa T, Katai H. Fatal submucosal invasive gastric adenosquamous carcinoma detected at surveillance after gastric endoscopic submucosal dissection. World J Gastroenterol, 21:4385-4390, 2015
- Shirota T, Ojima H, Hiraoka N, Shimada K, Rokutan H, Arai Y, Kanai Y, Miyagawa S, Shibata T. Heat shock protein 90 is a potential therapeutic target in cholangiocarcinoma. Mol Cancer Ther, 14:1985-1993, 2015
- Springer S, Wang Y, Dal Molin M, Masica DL, Jiao Y, Kinde I, Blackford A, Raman SP, Wolfgang CL, Tomita T, Niknafs N, Douville C, Ptak J, Dobbyn L, Allen PJ, Klimstra DS, Schattner MA, Schmidt CM, Yip-Schneider M, Cummings OW, Brand RE, Zeh HJ, Singhi AD, Scarpa A, Salvia R, Malleo G, Zamboni G, Falconi M, Jang JY, Kim SW, Kwon W, Hong SM, Song KB, Kim SC, Swan N, Murphy J, Geoghegan J, Brugge W, Fernandez-Del Castillo C, Mino-Kenudson M, Schulick R, Edil BH, Adsay V, Paulino J, van Hooft J, Yachida S, Nara S, Hiraoka N, Yamao K, Hijioka S, van der Merwe S, Goggins M, Canto MI, Ahuja N, Hirose K, Makary M, Weiss MJ, Cameron J, Pittman M, Eshleman JR, Diaz LA, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Karchin R, Hruban RH, Vogelstein B, Lennon AM. A combination of molecular markers and clinical features improve the classification of pancreatic cysts. Gastroenterology, 149:1501-1510, 2015
- Suzuki H, Aoki K, Chiba K, Sato Y, Shiozawa Y, Shiraishi Y, Shimamura T, Niida A, Motomura K, Ohka F, Yamamoto T, Tanahashi K, Ranjit M, Wakabayashi T, Yoshizato T, Kataoka K, Yoshida K, Nagata Y, Sato-Otsubo A, Tanaka H, Sanada M, Kondo Y, Nakamura H, Mizoguchi M, Abe T, Muragaki Y, Watanabe R, Ito I, Miyano S, Natsume A, Ogawa S. Mutational landscape and clonal architecture in grade II and III gliomas. Nat Genet, 47:458-468, 2015
- Suzuki M, Shiraishi K, Yoshida A, Shimada Y, Suzuki K, Asamura H, Furuta K, Kohno T, Tsuta K. HER2 gene mutations in non-small cell lung carcinomas: concurrence with Her2 gene amplification and her2 protein expression and phosphorylation. Lung Cancer, 87:14-22, 2015
- Suzuki S, Gotoda T, Suzuki H, Kono S, Iwatsuka K, Kusano C, Oda I, Sekine S, Moriyasu F. Morphologic and Histologic Changes in Gastric Adenomas After Helicobacter pylori Eradication: A Long-Term Prospective Analysis. Helicobacter, 20:431-437, 2015
- Takami H, Yoshida A, Fukushima S, Arita H, Matsushita Y, Nakamura T, Ohno M, Miyakita Y, Shibui S, Narita Y, Ichimura K. Revisiting TP53 Mutations and Immunohistochemistry--A Comparative Study in 157 Diffuse Gliomas. Brain Pathol, 25:256-265, 2015
- Tanaka Y, Kobayashi Y, Maeshima AM, Oh SY, Nomoto J, Fukuhara S, Kitahara H, Munakata W, Suzuki T, Maruyama D, Tobinai K. Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma secondary to lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma: a case report and review of literature with clonality analysis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 8:3339-3343, 2015
- Ueda R, Fuji S, Mori S, Hiramoto N, Hashimoto H, Tanaka T, Tada K, Kobayashi Y, Morikawa N, Shinohara A, Okinaka K, Maeshima AM, Kurosawa S, Kim SW, Yamashita T, Fukuda T. Characteristics and outcomes of patients diagnosed with norovirus gastroenteritis after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation based on immunochromatography. Int J Hematol, 102:121-128, 2015
- Watanabe S, Hirano S, Mine S, Yoshida A, Motoi T, Ishii S, Naka G, Takeda Y, Igari T, Sugiyama H, Kobayashi N. A case of endobronchial NUT midline carcinoma with intraluminal growth. Anticancer Res, 35:1607-1612, 2015
- Watanabe T, Ueno H, Watabe Y, Hiraoka N, Morizane C, Itami J, Okusaka T, Miura N, Kakizaki T, Kakuya T, Kamita M, Tsuchida A, Nagakawa Y, Wilber H, Yamada T, Honda K. ACTN4 copy number increase as a predictive biomarker for chemoradiotherapy of locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer, 112:704-713, 2015
- Watanabe Y, Kusumoto M, Yoshida A, Suzuki K, Asamura H, Tsuta K. Surgically resected solitary cavitary lung adenocarcinoma: association between clinical, pathologic, and radiologic findings and prognosis. Ann Thorac Surg, 99:968-974, 2015
- Watanabe Y, Shiraishi K, Takahashi F, Yoshida A, Suzuki K, Asamura H, Takeuchi M, Furuta K, Tsuta K. Biomarker expression and druggable gene alterations for development of an appropriate therapeutic protocol for pulmonary adenosquamous carcinoma. Histopathology, 66:939-948, 2015
- Yagishita S, Horinouchi H, Katsui Taniyama T, Nakamichi S, Kitazono S, Mizugaki H, Kanda S, Fujiwara Y, Nokihara H, Yamamoto N, Sumi M, Shiraishi K, Kohno T, Furuta K, Tsuta K, Tamura T. Epidermal growth factor receptor mutation is associated with longer local control after definitive chemoradiotherapy in patients with stage III nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 91:140-148, 2015
- Yagishita S, Horinouchi H, Sunami KS, Kanda S, Fujiwara Y, Nokihara H, Yamamoto N, Sumi M, Shiraishi K, Kohno T, Furuta K, Tsuta K, Tamura T, Ohe Y. Impact of KRAS mutation on response and outcome of patients with stage III non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Sci, 106:1402-1407, 2015
- Yamada M, Sakamoto T, Otake Y, Nakajima T, Kuchiba A, Taniguchi H, Sekine S, Kushima R, Ramberan H, Parra-Blanco A, Fujii T, Matsuda T, Saito Y. Investigating endoscopic features of sessile serrated adenomas/polyps by using narrow-band imaging with optical magnification. Gastrointest Endosc, 82:108-117, 2015
- Yamanoi K, Sekine S, Higuchi K, Kushima R, Nakayama J. Decreased expression of gastric gland mucin-specific glycanα1,4-linked N-acetylglucosamine on its scaffold mucin 6 is associated with malignant potential of pyloric gland adenoma of the stomach. Histopathology, 67:898-904, 2015
- Yamazaki N, Tanaka R, Tsutsumida A, Namikawa K, Eguchi H, Omata W, Oashi K, Ogawa T, Hayashi A, Nakamura N, Tsuta K. BRAF V600 mutations and pathological features in Japanese melanoma patients. Melanoma Res, 25:9-14, 2015
- Yasui N, Yoshida A, Kawamoto H, Yonemori K, Hosono A, Kawai A. Clinicopathologic analysis of spindle cell/sclerosing rhabdomyosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 62:1011-1016, 2015
- Yazawa M, Mori T, Nakayama Y, Kishi K. Basic study of soft tissue augmentation by adipose-inductive biomaterial. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 103:92-96, 2015
- Yoshida A, Asano N, Kawai A, Kawamoto H, Nakazawa A, Kishimoto H, Kushima R. Differential SALL4 immunoexpression in malignant rhabdoid tumours and epithelioid sarcomas. Histopathology, 66:252-261, 2015
- Yoshida A, Kamata T, Iwasa T, Watanabe S, Tsuta K. Myocardial Sleeve Tissues in Surgical Lung Specimens. Am J Surg Pathol, 39:1427-1432, 2015
- Yoshida A, Yoshida H, Yoshida M, Mori T, Kobayashi E, Tanzawa Y, Yasugi T, Kawana K, Ishikawa M, Sugiura H, Maeda D, Fukayama M, Kawai A, Hiraoka N, Motoi T. Myoepithelioma-like Tumors of the Vulvar Region: A Distinctive Group of SMARCB1-deficient Neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol, 39:1102-1113, 2015
- Yoshida M, Ogawa R, Yoshida H, Maeshima A, Kanai Y, Kinoshita T, Hiraoka N, Sekine S. TERT promoter mutations are frequent and show association with MED12 mutations in phyllodes tumors of the breast. Br J Cancer, 113:1244-1248, 2015
- Yoshida M, Sekine S, Ogawa R, Yoshida H, Maeshima A, Kanai Y, Kinoshita T, Ochiai A. Frequent MED12 mutations in phyllodes tumours of the breast. Br J Cancer, 112:1703-1708, 2015
- Yunokawa M, Tsuta K, Tanaka T, Nara E, Koizumi F, Ito J, Sekine S, Fujiwara Y, Tamura K. Back with a vengeance: microvascular tumor embolism. Am J Med, 128:834-836, 2015